Friday, April 21, 2017

THE ROAD TO PALM SPRINGS


Our spring break trip this year was a road trip to Palm Springs.
Since I had not been to Joshua Tree, we took the scenic route, 
although I bet we would have taken it anyway.
We took a little break at Kelso Depot.  We were there a couple years ago and I probably posted almost these same pictures then.
It was once a busy train station and the station house, now a visitor center, is really beautiful.





 On the lower level of the station there was a really cool art show from a "local" watercolorist who is also a biologist.  Her artwork is micro-organisms.


 Oscar is a great traveler.  He just settles in and away we go.  Periodically he needs to sit on
one of his people, however.


The drive through the park is roughly egg shaped.  We drove the shorter leg, roughly 1/3 of the park.
(I think Adam posted photos from the drive home, the 2/3 leg.)
The trees are stunning. I am pretty sure Dr. Seuss must have used them for inspiration.


The desert was green and 


in bloom - cactus,


and all manner of wild flowers.



This section of the park also has these incredible boulders!  


I'm guessing most of you have seen them, but it was my first time and I was duly impressed.



There were several wonderful camp grounds where the sites were tucked back into the rocks. 
 I understand there is some pretty good bouldering also...



"the Sphinx" and "the Hawk",
and my personal favorite:



"Lady in Repose"

:)

Love you all.

Mom



2 comments:

  1. "...we took the scenic route, although I bet we would have taken it anyway." Ha ha! Love it! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post - but great pictures and even better company! Can't wait to see you soon!

    LeAnna

    ReplyDelete