Monday, March 31, 2014

Prepping the Truck for the Trip West

 I have been waiting for a reasonably mild weather day to get it done before we head west.  Friday started out mild, but gradually cooled down as the day went on.  I was however able to not only finish the cutting and fitting of the truck bed, but I also installed the hitch-mounted bike rack and made repairs to the snow
blower with parts I ordered weeks ago.  So following a pattern of blogs developed by Keith, here is the process.
 
 
We wanted to refine the storage capacity and the ability to sleep in the truck if necessary.  After studying some online projects others had done and spending some time at Home Depot perusing materials, I decided to do a simple panel system with center support made from 3/4" particle board with melamine laminate both sides.  It came in 3 widths which I adapted for the dimensions of the truck bed.

 
With the first piece cut and placed Karen and Maggie decided to check out the potential sleeping arrangement.  It  appears they will fit.


 
The first 2 pieces went as planned, however the third piece proved too large to be able to be angled in to place.



I tried to make it work to minimize pieces and joints, but in the end I ripped it down the middle and it fit like a glove.  It may even be for the best as it makes all the pieces more manageable for removal when necessary.
 



 
I made the center support similar to an I-beam.  It worked as intended with the exception of sliding around while I drove around town.  I am reasonably certain that once the platform is loaded the sliding around will cease.  I am however making a couple of modifications to reduce/eliminate the sliding.  The next step is to purchase a couple of roll-out containers for under the platform and call it good for this trip.
 
 
We debated whether to take our bikes on the trip and when I found this hitch at a reasonable price we decided to take them along.
 
 
Saturday we got dumped on again!  Fortunately with the repairs made the snow blower was up and ready for the challenge again.
 
 
I grilled chicken Friday night which is why the cover wasn't back on!  Hopefully the last snow for the season.  Headed west.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love seeing the process and laughed out loud at the third picture and accompanying caption, "The first 2 pieces went as planned..." Perfect! I haven't worked with particle board much, but Erik uses it for everything. It seems to be the right choice here. The I-beam looks true to it's title. Can't wait to see it all loaded up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! My only suggestion would be to drill some air holes so Mom and Maggie can breathe when the tailgate is up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam - you are a funny, funny guy! Remember, you don't have your
    birthday card yet. Love you, Mom








    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see and read details of the trip!

    ReplyDelete