Sunday, July 11, 2010

LAMP POSTS OF MACEDONIA

So, this is probably a funny second post, but I like them. Everywhere we went - big towns, little towns, and everything in between - there were these awesome lamp posts. In Thessaloniki, it seemed like the posts changed with every neighborhood. I could have taken hundreds of pictures of them.



This was one of my favorites, it was in this little village we drove through. Ian was very good about humoring my need to get the pictures.

Although, this is a neat one also - apartment buildings in the background.


I think this is along the sea board in Kavala. In the part of Greece where we were, it seemed that we were on the sea or in the mountains. Both Kavala and Thessaloniki were were right there on the sea but then the cities climbed right up into the mountains. We drove some really cool mountain roads!


Most of the lamp posts had Christmas decorations on them and it seemed kind of funny, but then you thought about how big the city was and taking them down would not be at all practical!


Modern design or just ugly? Don't know, but it is different...note the Christmas bells. In the background you can see an example of the "tagging" that was everywhere in the city. Mostly done by the football teams, it was really the only example of vandalism we saw. It was too bad though because it was on everything.







Another "modern design"...I sort of like this one, but it looks out of place by the classic Greek Orthodox Church.


Fancy, upscale neighborhood - fancy lamp posts


See the ironwork on the balcony behind this lamp post? I saw more different ironwork here than I've seen everywere else I've been combined and doubled! Endless variations - it was beautiful.





Like Costa Rica, everything seemed to have a fence of some kind around it - public buildings, antiquities, stores, gardens, churches. Lots of the fences were the iron work, many with locked gates, but then there was some like this also.




Last one - I love this one and there were lots of variations - I think someone else like this one too. Nothing like a clasic design. Stay tuned more to come...not lamp posts, other stuff:-)











1 comment:

  1. I like that last one the best. That's a cool little collection of thematic photos. I imagine you took some flak and endured a little eye-rolling in order to get these. Glad you did. I've always enjoyed seeing what you get a kick out of... it's always surprising and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete